ENiAC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ENiAC

Pioneer college of Arts and Science | BSc & BCA Student forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterGalleryLog in
Congratulations to University Rank Holders: B.C.A: K.Sathyavaishnavi-I RANK, S.Maheswari-V RANK | M.Sc: S.Samanthadevi-III RANK, T.Ambika-IV RANK, S.Sharmila-VI RANK | M.Com: K.Malathi- V RANK, F.Aseena-VIII RANK, R.Saravanakumar-X RANK.
Latest topics
» NANO TECHNOLOGY
History of Nobel Prize I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 8:26 pm by ARUNTHATHIMOHAN

» Kaspersky 35 years validity key... amazing hack..
History of Nobel Prize I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 9:06 am by sarathbabu

» Mobile telephony standards[0G,1G,2G,3G,4G,5G technology]
History of Nobel Prize I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 4:14 am by sarathbabu

» 3G Technology
History of Nobel Prize I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 4:09 am by sarathbabu

» Detail about IMEI number
History of Nobel Prize I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 4:03 am by sarathbabu

» SIM CARD[meaning]
History of Nobel Prize I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 3:59 am by sarathbabu

» smartphone
History of Nobel Prize I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 3:55 am by sarathbabu

» Blender [animation] must see.....
History of Nobel Prize I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 3:49 am by sarathbabu

» Blender [animation]
History of Nobel Prize I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 3:49 am by sarathbabu

» GPS System Technology
History of Nobel Prize I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 6:36 pm by venkatesh

» கண்களை நம்பாதீர்கள்
History of Nobel Prize I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:06 pm by Admin

» CSS – ஆரம்ப வழிகாட்டி தமிழில்.
History of Nobel Prize I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:52 pm by Admin

» Top 10 Latest Inventions
History of Nobel Prize I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:24 pm by venkatesh

» கணினியை பராமரிக்க எழிய வழிமுறைகள்
History of Nobel Prize I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:18 pm by venkatesh

» Easy To Pick The Wndows Xp Key
History of Nobel Prize I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:12 pm by venkatesh

Top posters
Admin
History of Nobel Prize I_vote_lcapHistory of Nobel Prize I_voting_barHistory of Nobel Prize I_vote_rcap 
sarathbabu
History of Nobel Prize I_vote_lcapHistory of Nobel Prize I_voting_barHistory of Nobel Prize I_vote_rcap 
Divya
kanimozhi
SUBASRI
venkatesh
samson
manickaraaj
Mathivanan
ARUNTHATHIMOHAN
Gallery
History of Nobel Prize Empty
Poll
Which Internet Browser do you prefer?
Internet Explorer(IE)
History of Nobel Prize I_vote_lcap8%History of Nobel Prize I_vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
Netscape
History of Nobel Prize I_vote_lcap0%History of Nobel Prize I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Opera
 8% [ 1 ]
mozilla firefox
History of Nobel Prize I_vote_lcap33%History of Nobel Prize I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 4 ]
google chrome
History of Nobel Prize I_vote_lcap17%History of Nobel Prize I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 2 ]
Epic Browser
History of Nobel Prize I_vote_lcap25%History of Nobel Prize I_vote_rcap
 25% [ 3 ]
Other
 8% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of ENiAC on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of ENiAC on your social bookmarking website
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

History of Nobel Prize

Go down 
AuthorMessage
samson

Reputation/vote (வாக்கு) : 1

History of Nobel Prize Empty
PostSubject: History of Nobel Prize   History of Nobel Prize I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 8:15 am

The Nobel Prizes (definite form, singular, Swedish: Nobelpriset, Norwegian: Nobelprisen) are annual international awards bestowed by Scandinavian committees in recognition of cultural and scientific advances. The will of the Swedish chemist Alfred Nobel, the inventor of dynamite, established the prizes in 1895. The prizes in Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, Literature, and Peace were first awarded in 1901. The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel was instituted by Sveriges Riksbank in 1968 and was first awarded in 1969. Although technically not a Nobel Prize, its announcements and presentations are made along with the other prizes, with the exception of the Peace Prize which is awarded in Oslo, Norway. Each Nobel Prize is regarded as the most prestigious award in its field.

The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences awards the Nobel Prize in Physics, the Nobel Prize in Chemistry, and the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences. The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet awards the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. The Swedish Academy grants the Nobel Prize in Literature. The Nobel Peace Prize is not awarded by a Swedish organisation but by the Norwegian Nobel Committee.

Each recipient, or laureate, is presented with a gold medal, a diploma, and a sum of money which depends on the Nobel Foundation's income that year. In 2009, each prize was worth 10 million SEK (c. US$1.4 million). The prize cannot be awarded posthumously, unless the winner of the prize has passed away after the prize's announcement. Nor may a prize be shared among more than three people. The average number of laureates per prize has increased substantially over the 20th century.

Alfred Nobel ( listen (help·info)) was born on 21 October 1833 in Stockholm, Sweden, into a family of engineers. He was a chemist, engineer, and inventor. In 1895 Nobel purchased the Bofors iron and steel mill, which he converted into a major armaments manufacturer. Nobel also invented ballistite, the immediate precurser to many smokeless military explosives. Nobel amassed a fortune during his lifetime, most of it from his 355 inventions, of which dynamite is the most famous. In 1888, Alfred had the unpleasant surprise of reading his own obituary, titled ‘The merchant of death is dead’, in a French newspaper. As it was Alfred's brother Ludvig who had died, the obituary was eight years premature. Alfred was disappointed with what he read and concerned with how he would be remembered. This inspired him to change his will. On 10 December 1896 Alfred Nobel died in his villa in San Remo, Italy, at the age of 63 from a cerebral haemorrhage.

To the surprise of many, Nobel's last will requested that his fortune be used to create a series of prizes for those who confer the "greatest benefit on mankind" in physics, chemistry, peace, physiology or medicine, and literature. Nobel wrote several wills during his lifetime. The last was written over a year before he died, signed at the Swedish-Norwegian Club in Paris on 27 November 1895. Nobel bequeathed 94% of his total assets, 31 million SEK (c. US$186 million in 2008), to establish the five Nobel Prizes. Because of the level of scepticism surrounding the will, it was not until 26 April 1897 that it was approved by the Storting in Norway. The executors of his will were Ragnar Sohlman and Rudolf Lilljequist, who formed the Nobel Foundation to take care of Nobel's fortune and organise the prizes.

Nobel's instructions named a Norwegian Nobel Committee to award the Peace Prize, the members of whom were appointed shortly after the will was approved in April 1897. Soon thereafter, the other prize-awarding organisations were established: the Karolinska Institutet on 7 June, the Swedish Academy on 9 June, and the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences on 11 June. The Nobel Foundation reached an agreement on guidelines for how the prizes should be awarded, and in 1900, the Nobel Foundation's newly-created statutes were promulgated by King Oscar II. In 1905, the Union between Sweden and Norway was dissolved. Thereafter Norway's Nobel Committee remained responsible for awarding the Nobel Peace Prize and the Swedish institutions retained responsibility for the other prizes.
Back to top Go down

History of Nobel Prize
Page 1 of 1